COVID-19 continues to be a public health threat in our community. Strict adherence to prevention procedures can greatly reduce the spread of the virus, thereby protecting our volunteers as individuals and our community as a whole. Therefore, the following Santa Monica Mountains Trails Council (SMMTC) specific COVID-19 prevention specific workplace plan is established. All volunteers should keep in mind that it is everyone’s responsibility to take action to protect themselves as well as others on our projects.
The primary work of the SMMTC volunteers is trail maintenance with a small number of related projects. This work is performed outdoors on National and State Park properties as well as other publicly owned open space areas. The physical location of our workplace may change from week to week but this plan is applicable to all work sites.
Specific work procedures: The following guidance is provided to all volunteers participating in SMMTC trail maintenance projects
Do not attend the event if you have:
- tested positive for COVID-19 within the last fourteen days or
- have had close, prolonged contact (6 feet and 15 minutes) to someone else who has tested positive within the last fourteen days or
- are currently showing symptoms—FYI, this CDC link is updated regularly.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided by the volunteer. For this plan, PPE is defined as face masks and disposable, latex gloves. Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own, leather work gloves.
- Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own tools.
- Occasionally, it will be necessary to carpool from the meeting place to the trailhead. In these situations, all volunteers in the vehicle should wear a mask and windows in the vehicle should be kept partially open to increase ventilation. These carpool trips should be kept as short as possible.
- Masks may be removed while working on the trail as long as a six foot distance between volunteers is maintained.
- Maintain a six foot distance from passing trail users. If conversation or prolonged close contact with a passerby is established, a face mask should be donned.
- Cleanup supplies (soap, water, hand sanitizer) will be provided to all volunteers at the completion of the event.